A personal blog with craft tutorials, reviews of books, films, and music, parenting advice, and opinions on society and politics.

April 29, 2016

Refashion || Bye-bye sleeves, hello crochet straps!

My mom made a bunch of maternity-sized shirts for me when I was pregnant with Emma. The fabric is too pretty for me to let them go, so I've been altering and refashioning them.

In this shirt, the combination of the sleeves with the boatneck was not particularly flattering, making it a little tight over the bust and under the arms. Solution: remove the sleeves! It took a while for me to figure out what to do for straps or sleeves instead. The neckline did not make matters easier.

But then I came across this pattern for a loose collar in one of my old Ideas magazines. I continued the pattern until it was long enough for the straps I needed and just finished it off simply without the buttonhole.


I unpicked the sleeves and the edges of the neckline, as it was lined...


...then sewed the crocheted piece into the lining, ensuring that it would be the right way up when I turned the shirt back inside out.


I was going to trim the sides a little, but since baggy '60s and '70s styles are in now, I just left it!


What do you think?