June 12, 2015
Jurassic Park: My Top 11 Favourite Moments
My excitement has been piqued ever further by the release of a brilliantly-edited final trailer (watch it at the bottom of the post), which makes it look all the more as though it will possibly match the tension and thrill of 'Jurassic Park'.
I recently binge-watched all three of the 'Jurassic Park' films. That was, of course, before I found out that director Colin Trevorrow was actually disregarding the (still disappointingly bad) sequels and moving on directly from the original. Thus, quite a waste of time (because...reasons). I recently watched a little documentary short about the first film showing how and why the dinosaurs in 'Jurassic Park' were just so groundbreaking: they were really a merging of three different technologies - stop motion animation, animatronics, and CGI. I believe this is why the two sequels could not hope to compete - I believe all their dinosaurs were entirely CGI-based.
I will now happily and smilingly watch Jurassic World' without even remembering the sequels.
But what was it that made 'Jurassic Park' so enjoyable for me? Was it the angst and tension that many are finding difficult to emulate today, even said sequels? Was it the Sam Neill and Laura Dern team?
Here are my top 11 favourite moments in 'Jurassic Park':
1. Welcome, Velociraptor!This first scene should be on the list as one of the most thrilling moments in a film ever. Pounding rain, a mystery guest, a peek through the bars of the transfer cubicle, a misstep, and a man clinging to the side of the vehicle before being dragged to his doom...I rub my hands in glee!
2. Respect the Velociraptor
3. Dinosaurs!? Dinosaurs!
5. Playing GodThis is a recent favourite of mine. Alan, Ellie, Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum), and the park's creator, John Hammond discuss the events of the day. Ian is convinced that dinosaurs belong in the past - it is where God put them after all, but Hammond does not believe he is playing God and is disappointed that they are all unimpressed with his park. The conversation is quite intense and I'd never noticed it before.
6. Um, The Electricity is Off
7. Dennis Gets His Comeuppance
8. Shirtlessness and Dinasahrs!
9. The Electric Fence is Off
10. The Wobbling Jello
11. A Velociraptor in the Kitchen
many fans in the world of palaeontology for basically settling an image of dinosaurs in popular culture and the viewing public that isn't really based on reality. I can understand that this is problematic and a fluffy dinosaur with feathers may now be scoffed at instead of dazzle. While the first film went miles to show humankind that dinosaurs were smarter than previously thought - which was what palaeontologists had been discovering - many have even fewer compliments for the dinosaurs of 'Jurassic World'. The dinosaurs are massive and apparently barely resemble the painstakingly acquired skeleton specimens displayed in museums around the world.
But 'Jurassic Park', you have a fan in me despite your inaccuracies, and I hope 'Jurassic World' meets my expectations.
Watch the trailer below:
Are you looking forward to seeing the film?