A personal blog with craft tutorials, reviews of books, films, and music, parenting advice, and opinions on society and politics.

July 17, 2014

No More Blurred Lines For Me!

My relationship with Robin Thicke's song 'Blurred Lines' has been strained, but Weird Al Yankovich has saved me!

I'll admit that the song is exceedingly catchy, and it really makes me feel like dancing.

BUT the feminist inside me has *hated* the song because of its unsavoury lyrics, lyrics which almost no one who plays the song over and over again seems to think are a big deal or a reflection on our society at large with regards to rape culture.

Lines from the song that make my skin crawl include the inimitable "OK now he was close, tried to domesticate you; But you're an animal, baby, it's in your nature" and "You the hottest bitch in this place", but I won't get ahead of myself.

I won't turn this into a diatribe on why those lyrics are wrong for so many reasons, but I've always felt guilty for enjoying the music.

No more! Weird Al Yankovic has saved me, and probably countless others, with his parody, which is not only a far cry from the 'rapiness' of Robin Thicke's version, but it's all about language!



It's like an anthem for editors and proofreaders everywhere! *I'm in heaven*!

emma-stone-crying-Giphy.com


Via GeeksAreSexy