A personal blog with craft tutorials, reviews of books, films, and music, parenting advice, and opinions on society and politics.

December 19, 2011

Breast Cancer Can Happen to Anyone

A breast cancer awareness campaign was launched in Mozambique by DDB. It shows familiar superheroes giving themselves breast examinations. Breast examinations are a woman's best bet at finding cancer early enough to get treatment.

I love geeky things, so these comic-themed posters are right up my alley.

My concern, however, is that the advertisements may only appeal to a small percentage of women. I don't mean to generalise and assume that most women don't know of or enjoy comics, but isn't there a large proportion of women that may not even notice them?

My other concern is that sex is selling. Once again. Obviously the posters will be ideal wall décor for the average teenage boy - and adults too - but people will definitely notice them, so I suppose the campaign worked!

They still make my skin crawl a little though...

What do you think of them?

via Laughing Squid