A personal blog with craft tutorials, reviews of books, films, and music, parenting advice, and opinions on society and politics.

September 3, 2011

Intensely close

My parents came to visit again today. It was an odd visit: they were here for a shorter time than normal, and had less to say than normal. My mom in particular was very quiet, while my dad was equally silent - but this is normal for him now.

The silent moments were more strained, and I feel so guilty for not knowing how much they are going through.

After they left, I remembered how much they love each other. They've been together for 31 years - I've been with Shaun for four - I imagine that their love for each other is at least seven times more intense than my love for Shaun, and I love him pretty intensely.

I can't imagine how my mom feels knowing how close she is to losing him.