A personal blog with craft tutorials, reviews of books, films, and music, parenting advice, and opinions on society and politics.

March 31, 2011

A hobby for you...one for me...

31 March 2011

I can't imagine what it would be like to have no hobbies. Perhaps I have too many and take them away from those who have none, much like the rich steal infinite bungee jumps and pink champagne while people around the world never get even a taste.

I have so many hobbies that it's difficult to get my thoughts in order. I like to do too much of too much: everything from sewing to crochet to knitting to eggart to writing a blog to photography catches my eye, and so I relentlessly trawl the internet in search for inspiration instead of actually getting down to it.

The thing about hobbies is that you need someone close to you to also be interested in what you're doing, and perhaps even do it as well. There's nothing like sharing your latest creation with someone who can really appreciate your work and the time and effort it took for you to get it looking the way it does. Similarly, there is nothing like finishing something, being really proud of it, and showing someone only to have them smirk at your efforts because they're not really interested in what you're doing in the slightest.

I don't mean to generalise, but I think that although men like to have their hobbies and their women to have their own hobbies, men are happiest when you share the same hobby as them. Take gaming for example. They love it when you participate. But you might struggle to get them to do something like dancing with you. In this WikiHow, it describes how you can turn your girlfriend into a gamer, and also warns that you should make her stay away from things like dancing because she might "sucker you into joining her".

I'd like to know why is it okay for the man to sucker a woman into doing his hobby but not for her to do the same?! ;)