A personal blog with craft tutorials, reviews of books, films, and music, parenting advice, and opinions on society and politics.

March 27, 2009

Recession?

27 March 2009

I've been wondering about this supposed economic recession that we are all being plunged into.

Aside from newspaper posters blaring that another car company has gone under, or another bank is for sale, there are even films being made regarding the recession.

But when I look around, just simply driving through the city, I see nothing that shows that we are all struggling. There are still people who can afford the price tag of the most expensive cars on the market. Just as an example, the Mercedes-Benz S-Class, the 65 AMG, is at a happy price of R1 950 000. And I know I've seen quite a couple of them speeding past me and pushing in in front of me because I'm going too slowly.

There are still tons of people shopping on random days at the shopping centres and spending money that supposedly no one has.

I wonder sometimes whether the powers that be are merely trying to make everyone scared.